The first training courses on medical radiology were organized in 1933. They were held at the Department of Therapy of Minsk Medical Institute. The courses on medical radiology were in charge of associate professor S.M.Livshits.
In 1951, there had been founded the Department of Radiology at Belarusian State Institute for Advanced Medical Training. For 26 years, it was headed by honored scientist of BSSR, Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor B.M. Sosina. In 1990, the Department of Radiology was reorganized into the Department of Radiodiagnostics.
At that time, the department was represented by the following specialists: associate professor S.A. Rubinstein, associate professor O.S. Luchenok, assistant A.A. Dudkovskaya, associate professor V.V. Nekrashevich, associate professor М.М. Mardkvarde, assistant Т.К. Nevskaya, associate professor А.I. Lapnitsky, professor I.I. Lasiuk, associate professor L.А. Zhakova, assistant Е.P. Cheremukhin, assistant V.I. Shaplyko, associate professor Е.V. Ilyashevich, assistant V. М. Timofeev, associate professor А.I.Aleshkevich, associate professor Y.F.Poloiko.
At present, the department is in charge of professor Anatoly Mikhailov. He is an academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Laureate of the State Prize, a prominent scientist, who contributed greatly into the development of medical science.
Scientific researches conducted by professor Anatoly Mikhailov cover a wide range of issues of angiology and cardiology, pulmonology, gastroenterology, osteology, urology and other fields of medicine.
In 1997, Аnatoly Mikhailov was awarded a medal “Gold Star” for the research and academic achievements (Cambridge, England). He joined the list of 500 world leaders as the most prominent scientist and outstanding figure, whose professional achievements will be of great importance for the future generations. He is an international expert in the field of diagnostic radiology. Anatoly Mikhailov is an author of more than 600 scientific works, 40 monographs. He has 40 patents for inventions.
The American Biography Institute in the person of its President, Mrs. G.M.Evans, reported that professor Аnatoly Mikhailov is an experienced internationally recognized leader. In 2009, he was included into a privileged circle of prominent figures, who could demonstrate the highest standards of their professional activities and contribute greatly into the development of the society.
At present, the department has a modern material and technical base, excellent academic staff, good educational learning material, which help to provide a high level of postgraduate training for specialists in all fields of radiation diagnostics: roentgenology, computer tomography, magnetic resonance tomography, interventional radiology.
- «Study of the mechanisms of functional disorders in organs and systems and treatment methods» (scientific advisor – professor Anatoly Mikhailov). Ways of visualization of functional and morphological changes in internal organs.
- «Study of adaptative and compensatory mechanisms of locomotor system during physical exercises in a normal state and at pathology» (scientific advisor – professor Anatoly Mikhailov). Development of the ways of radial visualization of the functional state of spine and joints.
Clinical bases of the department
- Republican Clinical Hospital for Disabled Great Patriotic War Veterans named after P.M.Masherov;
- Minsk Regional Clinical Hospital;
- Republican Scientific and Practical Center for Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Immunology;
- Scientific and Research Institute for Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N.Aleksandrov»;
- Republican Scientific and Practical Center for Traumatology and Orthopedics;
- 5th Clinical Hospital