The department was founded on the 1st of February, 2008. The department is headed by professor Yury Ostrovsky, Doctor of Medical Sciences, academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Belarus.
The first staff of the department was the following one: V.V.Selesnyov, Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor; V.I.Sevrukevich, Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor; K.O.Rubakhov, Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor; Y.M.Chesnov, Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor, A.Y.Ostrovsky, Candidate of Medical Sciences, associate professor; assistants P.F.Chernoglaz and A.E.Beimanov.
Since February, 2009, there had been organized a new course in transplantology, which in 2013 was transferred into the Department of Transplantology.
The Department of Cardiosurgery is a successor of traditions of prominent national cardiologists, - S.L.Libov, P.N.Maslov, A.V.Shott, and nowadays it is the main modern school of cardiosurgery in the Republic of Belarus.
There are 2 specialties at the department, on which specialists undergo the training:
- Roentgen-endovascular surgery
- Advanced training is held on the following programs:
- Cardiac failures and thoracic surgery (for cardiosurgeons, perfusionists, thoracic surgeons, surgeons)
- Roentgen-endovascular surgery with arrhythmology (for cardiosurgeons, roentgen-endovascular surgeons, cardiologists)
- Minimally invasive cardiosurgery (for cardiosurgeons, perfusionists, thoracal surgeons, surgeons)
- Endovascular phlebology (for cardiosurgeons, perfusionists, thoracic surgeons, surgeons)
- Cardiovascular surgery (for cardiosurgeons, perfusionists, thoracic surgeons, surgeons)
- Roentgen-endovascular surgery in cardiology (for cardiosurgeons, roentgen-endovascular surgeons, cardiologists)
- Cardiosurgery with arrhythmology (for cardiosurgeons, perfusionists, thoracic surgeons, surgeons)
- Cardiosurgery and angiology (for cardiosurgeons, perfusionists, thoracic surgeons, surgeons)
- Intensive therapy and anesthesia service in cardiosurgery (for anesthesiologists-intensivists, cardiosurgeons, cardiologists)
- Surgical implications in cardiac pathology (for cardiologists, therapists, anesthesiologists-intensivists)
Y.P.Ostrovsky has worked out innovative courses of lectures:
- Application of aortic allografts in cardiosurgery
- New training programs have been worked out:
- Cardiosurgery with arrhythmology
- Endovascular phlebology
- Revascularization of myocardium without artificial circulation
- Roentgen-endovascular surgery with arrhythmology
- Anesthesia in cardiovascular surgery
- Pathology of large vessels
- Acquired valvular defects
- Congenital heart defects
- Surgical treatment of ischemic heart disease
- Surgical treatment at heart rhythm disturbances
- Minimally invasive cardiosurgery
- Cardiovascular surgery
Academic modules for distance training have also been worked out:
"Cardiac myxomas" and "Revascularization of myocardium without artificial circulation (for cardiosurgeons)", “Acute aortal syndrome”, “Atrial Fibrillation”.
The main scientific areas:
- Surgical treatment of final heart failure (including application of mechanic devices at long-term assisted circulation and heart transplantation; there had been more than 200 heart transplantations until 2016);
- oncocardio-, oncoangiosurgery;
- hybrid interventions at thoracic aorta pathology;
- methods of myocardium protection and treatment of cardiac and other complications in cardiosurgery (with the application of extracorporeal membrane blood oxygenation of intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation, assisted artificial circulation, ultrafiltration, plasmapheresis etc.;
- integrated methods of myocardial revasculization;
- combined interventions at multifocal atherosclerosis;
- endovascular technologies (including endoprosthesis of abdominal and thoracic aorta, development of national aortic stentgrafts);
- minimally invasive procedures in cardiosurgery;
- surgical arrhythmology.
- preparation of the first group of clinical residency graduates in cardiosurgery and roentgen-endovascular surgery in 2008-2009 who were the first specialists of this field working at regional cardiosurgery divisions (who have done 60-80% of all interventions on heart and magistral vessels until 2013);
- development and implementation of national heart valve prostheses "PLANIKS" of several generations into clinical practice;
- development and implementation of methods of cardioprotection with the application of blood cardioplegia;
- development and implementation of methods of surgical correction of chronic heart insufficiency (including implantation of mechanic devices for long-term assisted circulation and heart transplantation; surgery modelling of myocardium, application of stem cells);
- surgical correction methods of acute and chronic pathology of thoracic aorta have been studied and implemented, including those ones with the application of hybrid technologies, development of protective methods of brain and spinal cord, internal organs;
- different methods of endovascular correction of thoracic and abominal aorta pathologies have been implemented; methods of aortic valve, magistral vessels have been implemented; national modifications of aortic stentgrafts have been developed;
- complex interventions on heart and magistral vessels have been studied and implemented;
- technology of obtaining of cryoretaining allografts, which are used also at life-threatening heart and vessel pathology, has been developed.
12 monographs, a large amount of printing works in scientific printed media, methodological recommendations have been published.
Specialists of the department make presentations and give reports at different scientific forums (Moscow, Saint-Petesburg, Vilnius, Kiev, Almaty, Novosibirsk, Vienna, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Warsaw, Berlin, Rome, Strasbourg etc. ).
The department gives scientific -practical and guidance assistance to the cardiological services of the Republic of Belarus and regional cardiosurgery centers - does operations on calls, gives seminars, also with international participation, organizes republican conferences (with international participation) etc.
The Department of Cardiosurgery cooperates with cardiosurgery centers of neighboring countries and beyond: scientific center of cardiovascular surgery named after A.N.Bakulev of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Institute named after N.M.Amosov, Institute named after E.N.Meshalkin, Scientific and Research Institute named after V.A.Almazov; leading cardiosurgery centers of Warsaw, Brussels, Vienna etc., cardiosurgery clinics of Vilnius and Prague Universities, German Heart Center (Berlin), cardiosurgery clinics of the town of Pilsen (Chech Republic).
- Universities and scientific centers of non-CIS countries:
- University Cardiology Clinic - Affine
- University Cardiosurgery Clinic - Leipzig
- Charite Clinic- Berlin
- University Cardiosurgery Clinic - Prague
- Institute of Cardiology - Warsaw
- Cardiosurgery Clinic of Vatican, Rome
- Cardiosurgery Clinic - Ankara
- University Cardiosurgery Clinic - Tel Aviv
At present, the department has modern material and technical base, highly-qualified academic staff, information-reference and guidance materials. Specialists working at the department are awarded state certificates given by the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus, BelMAPE.