The Department was founded in 1958. At that time it was called Department of Dentistry of the Belarusian State Institute of Advanced Medical Training. For 14 years Berdygan K.I., professor, Candidate of Medical Sciences, had been head of the Department. In 1971 Kruchinsky G.V., Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, Honored Scientist of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic, award winner, became head of the Department. In 1978 the Department of Dentistry was reorganized into the Department of Oral Surgery. From that time the staff of the Department started to pay its attention to the issues of anaplastic surgery of maxillofacilal area. In 1998 under the supervision of professor Kruchinski G.V., Artiushkevich A.S. defended Doctoral dissertation.
From 1991 until now professor Artiushkevich A.S. has been working as a head of the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery (earlier - the Department of Oral Dentistry). Scientific and practical field of work of the Department is connected with the study of fracture biomechanics, improvement of operating treatment methods of jaw fractures, treatment of face and jaw congenital malformations, treatment of acentric periodontium diseases, treatment of vascular tumors, treatment of odontogenetic inflammatory conditions.
From the time of the foundation the main clinical base of the department was situated at Minsk Regional Hospital, which was situated on the Brovki Street in Minsk. After the time when Minsk Regional Hospital was separated into the adult and child parts, Minsk Regional Children's Clinical Hospital became clinical base of the Department, which in 2004 was moved into a new building in the village Lesnoy. The Department also has outpatient clinics which are situated at the following addresses: Minsk Regional Dentistry Outpatient Clinic on the Kozlova Street, 9, Dentistry Outpatient Clinic №8 on Kiseleva Street, 32, City Outpatient Clinic №8 on Nikiforova Street, 3, and 432 Order Red Star General Military Clinical Health Center of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Belarus situated on the Masherov Avenue, 26.
Under the supervision of professor Artiushkevich A.S. the following theses were defended:
- Candidate's thesis by Zorich M.E. "Application of devices with internal fixation in treatment of palate ceasmic teratosis"
- Candidate's thesis by Yatskevich O.S."Osteoplasty at surgery treatment of ceasmic teratosis of upper lip and palate"
- Candidate's thesis by Grichaniuk D.A. "Usage of substances which stimulale osteogeny in treatment of ceasmic teratosis of upper lip and palate"
- Candidate's thesis be Poloiko N.A. "Treatment of mandibular fractures with the application of miniplates from resorbable polymers (experimental research)"
- Candidate's thesis by Nasibyants N.V. "Clinical relevance in electroodontometry for detection of pathology and physiological processes in tooth pulp"
- Candidate's thesis by Kochubinkaya A.S. "Influence of different forms of nanocrystal hydroxyapatite of high level frequency on the processes of reparative osseointegration in jaw bone losses"
- Candidate's thesis by tamilovich G.V. "Pharmacotherapeutic efficiency (Aliufer) at surgery interventions on hard tissues in maxillofacial area"
- Candidate's thesis by Lunev L.A. "Usage of modified cellulose in treatment of odontogenic maxillary sinusitis".
- Candidate's thesis by Al-Fakih Mustafa Amin "Application of screw constructions in the treatment of mandibular fractures"
At present 3 Doctoral theses are being worked on. Scientific consultant of the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery is head of the Department, Artiushkevich A.S., professor, Doctor of Medical Sciences.
- Doctoral candidate, Yatskevich O.S., topic of Doctoral thesis - "Minimally invasive orthognatic surgery in complex treatment of inborn and acquired jaw deformations".
- PhD candidate, Grichaniuk D.A., topic of Doctoral thesis - "Functional and esthetic, reconstructive surgery of aprosopia".
- PhD Candidate, Nasibyants N.V., topic of doctoral thesis "Local anesthesia in dental care (experimental and clinical research)".
2 postgraduate students study at the department:
- Tereschenko M.A., topic of Candidate's thesis - "Clinical and experimental ground in choosing of treatment method to cure infantile hemangioma in maxillofacial area". Research instructor - head of the Department, Doctor of medical Sciences, professor, Artiushkevich A.S.
- Gurbanov T.,topic of Candidate's thesis - "Experimental and clinical grounds of efficiency of invasive treatment methods to cure chronic inflammatory and reactive-dystrophic diseases of salivary glands".Research instructor, Associate professor of the Department, Candidate of Medical Sciences, Liudchik T.B.
The main areas of scientific and research activities:
- Treatment of traumas of maxillofacial area;
- Congenital defect of maxillofacial area;
- Treatment of maxillofacial deformations;
- Treatment of vessel maxillofacial malformations;
- Application of compressive and distraction treatment method to cure congenital and acquired jaw deformations
- Early surgery treatment of congenital cleft lip and palate;
- Reconstructive operations on jaw bones
- New effective treatment methods to cure vessel malformations of maxillofacial area
- Dental implantation
Treatment and consultation work
Treatment work is carried out on the base of adult and child divisions of maxillofacial surgery at Minsk Regional Children's Clinical Hospital, where different kinds of operations are being made, including the most difficult ones, also on the base of Minsk Regional Dentistry Outpatient Clinic, Minsk Dentistry Outpatient Clinic №8, Minsk City Outpatient Clinic №8 and 432 Order Red Star General Military Clinical Health Center of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Belarus, where ambulatory surgery operations are carried out.
Weekly, the staff of the Department does the rounds at divisions, does dressings, consults postoperative and income patients.
The Department has special hours for consultations given to citizens of Minsk region (on the base of advisory room at Outpatient Clinic of "Minsk Regional City Clinical Hospital".
Head of the Department, Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor, Artiushkevich A.S.
- weekly, consultation days - Thursday from 10 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.
- Before the consultation be sure to take the following documents with you:
Referral from a healthcare establishment;
- Case record (form 043/u);
- Panoramic X-ray
Academic, Teaching and Guiding Activities
Main Discipline Postgraduate Courses
Postgraduate courses cover actual issues of maxillofacial traumas, maxillofacial inflammatory diseases. The issues of congenital defects and restorative surgery are also of great attention at the Department. The courses are designed for dental surgeons, teachers from educational establishments of higher education, maxillofacial surgeons. Themes of the courses are closely connected with the issues of practical work of dental surgeons. At present the Department has a modern material and technical basis, academic teaching staff, information, reference and teaching aids, which helps to provide a high level of postgraduate specialists' training.
The main forms of the classes are the following ones: lectures, seminars, participation in scientific, clinical, hospital and clinical and anatomic conferences. Practical classes are held with the presence of patients, clinical discussions are carried out. The learners regularly participate in rounds, assist during operations, attend special consultations held by the head of the Department, do dressings, work at medical admission units, evaluate the results of X-ray and other additional research methods. Guidance papers of all courses are available for course listeners.
The Department has quite a huge academic potential to train physician during doctoral studies, postgraduate courses and clinical residency (intramural, intramural-extramural forms of training) on the specialties "surgery dentistry" and "maxillofacial surgery" designed for the citizens of Belarus, CIS countries and non-CIS countries.
- Artiushkevich A.S. is a member of the European Association of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgeons, European Association of Plastic Surgeons. On the 21st of April, 2009, professor Artiushkevich A.S. was awarded a title of honorary professor by Smolensk State Medical Academy
- Ruman G.M. is a member of the European Association of Plastic Surgeons, Russian Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Esthetic Surgeons
- Yatskevich O.S. is a member of the European Association of Plastic Surgeons, Russian Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Esthetic Surgeons
- Grichaniuk D.A. is a member of the European Association of Craniomaxillofacial Surgeons (EACMFS)
The Department of Maxillofacial Surgery cooperates with the Department of Surgery Dentistry and the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery of Smolensk State Medical Academy. The Department of Maxillofacial Surgery also cooperates with the clinics «Sanitas» (Israel), «San Paolo» (Italy), Foundation "Help them to live"